Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Like stones, words are laborious and unforgiving, and the fitting of them together, like the fitting of stones, demands great patience and strength of

purpose and particular skill - Edumund Morrison


I finished reading Poets & Writers, and yes I did get some writing done - a page a day - which is better than nothing - anyway Daniel Halpern, publisher/president of Ecco wrote an article on his publishing journey.

He quotes Jorge Luis Borges (who also said one of my favorite quotes...i've always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library) Borges said...
"When I printed my first book, I didn't send it to the bookstores or other writers-I just gave copies to my friends....In those days, nobody thought in terms of failure or success in selling books. We thought of writing as a kind of destiny."

I like that.

2 comments:

  1. That really does sounds like the right way to approach writing. I know for me, if I approach writing with the idea that I enjoy building these people and places, then I love doing it. The moment I start thinking in terms of doing it as a profession, it becomes overwhelming and I can't do it.

    ReplyDelete