Monday, October 25, 2010

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. ~Mark Twain



I'm the Master Procrastinator.

So it was with great interest that I read the book review written by James Surowiecki of The Thief of Time – a collection of essays about procrastination – edited by Andreou and White in the October 11 edition of The New Yorker. (Did you notice the date? October 11 and it is now Oct 27 – yep I am a master)

Various reasons for procrastination range from Socrates – who says it ignorance, that we must want what is bad for us – to laziness - to my FAVORITE and not only because I am NOT ignorant or lazy but the theory that appeals to the writes in me is as game theorist Thomas Schelling proposes we are a “divided self”

Schelling says we are different beings – contending and bargaining for control. The one who makes plans and the one who fails to carry them out.

So, yes I am still at 35,000 words for Love By Design - but since being stuck I entered a contest (The Emily), submitted Playing For Keeps to Carina Press and wrote/submitted a short story to Woman’s World.

For the next 11 days I will be un-plugged. No blog, no Facebook, no email – no nothing – but there is pen and paper – so here is my plan that me and my divided self came up with

I will have completed my long-awaited sci-fi short story.
I will have handwritten the next scene of Love By Design and sketched in the details needed for the previous 2 scenes.
I will do research for my next book after Love By Design.

I’ll report back by November 9th. “Make it so” – as Jean Luc Picard would say because even though I’m the Master Procrastinator I know that…

Procrastination is opportunity's assassin. ~Victor Kiam

5 comments:

  1. Ah, ambition.

    You go, Liz!

    And don't forget to report back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So inspired and proud of you! You will do it - there is nothing as wonderful as feeling productive. You just sleep better at night. And I love the Twain quote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you achieved everything you set out to, Liz!

    ReplyDelete