Saturday, February 7, 2009

The existence of forgetting has never been proved: We only know that some things don't come to mind when we want them. ~Friedrich Nietzsche


My college philosophy teacher would be amused by me quoting Nietzsche. For I had huge problem with Nietzsche, which my teacher said came from my mis-understanding of where Nietzsche was coming from. I never did embrace his philosophy, but apparently we have one thing in common.

A bad memory. It happened sometime in my thirites. "Hey, Liz, do you remember so and so?"
Ummm.....no.
"Hey, Liz remember when we ___?"
Ummmm...no.

Pictures help - help alot. In fact, if I didn't have pictures from moments in my life I would feel like I had no past life. Sometimes though even that doesn't help. My friend recently posted this picture on Facebook.
I totally don't remember this. NADA. It's from my college days - Linda tells me we were going to Dean's Halloween party and I'm like "Who is Dean?"
And so I'll leave you with another quote from Nietzsche.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

2 comments:

  1. OMG - that's so funny! Great pic, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I remember that picture! But I know what you mean. Karen is always saying remember when ? to me and I respond the same way you do. Maybe its genetic.

    ReplyDelete