Tuesday, July 12, 2011

To create one's world in any of the arts takes courage. Georgia O'Keeffe


Georgia Totto O'Keeffe (November 15, 1887 – March 6, 1986) carved out a significant place for women painters in an area of the American art community that had been exclusive to and is still dominated by men, but also she had become one of America’s most celebrated cultural icons.

Here are some quotes....
I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore its beauty.
Georgia O'Keeffe

I feel there is something unexplored about woman that only a woman can explore.
Georgia O'Keeffe

I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for.
Georgia O'Keeffe

I often painted fragments of things because it seemed to make my statement as well as or better than the whole could.
Georgia O'Keeffe

One can not be an American by going about saying that one is an American. It is necessary to feel America, like America, love America and then work.
Georgia O'Keeffe

1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge O'Keeffe fan! She was an inspiring pioneer. Loved this post. Thanks for sharing the quotes.

    ReplyDelete