Monday, June 21, 2010

You can't write poetry on the computer. ~Quentin Tarantino

I am not a huge fan of poetry however I do have my favorites. For me Invictus by William Ernest Henley (1849-1903) has always meant alot to me. He wrote the poem from a hospital bed. I thought I'd share for those who may have not run across it.


Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gait,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul
-WIlliam Ernest Henley




Do you have a favorite poem?

4 comments:

  1. Maybe not a favorite poem but a favorite poet. John Donne is my favorite. I'll always remember this line. Go and catch a falling star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz!
    My favorite poet is Shel Silverstein. Not very intellectual, but quite entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the poem you posted. I was forced to take a poetry course in my grad classes and loved it. Re-discovered the beauty and simplicity of poetry without worrying if I "got it" or not like in high school. As for intellectual, Shel Silverstein rocks along with Dr. Seuss. One of my favorite poets is Elizabeth Bishop, who I discovered in class. good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Liz!
    I love the idea of copying down descriptions of scents from candle and perfume descriptions (as you posted on Janet's blog). I am so going to do that!!!

    ReplyDelete