Sunday, August 17, 2008

Goal Setting

I thought it appropriate for my first post to be about goal setting.

Why are goals important? Well, in 1979 Harvard Business School conducted a study of graduating students. They were ask, "Do you have set, clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomlish them? 3% had written goals and plans. 13% had goals, but were not written down. 84% had no goals at all.
Ten years later the members of the class were surveyed again. The 3% who had writtten goals with plans earned on an average 10x more than the other 97% put together.

So how do we set goals? Get a piece of paper.
Step 1 - Identify your goals and the timeframe for completion. Ask yourself, "What do I want?" "When?"
Step 2 - Identify your purpose. Ask yourself, "Why do I want it?" "What will it give me?"
Step 3 - Make a roadmap. "How will I reach my goal?" Use specific action steps.
Step 4 - Take some action toward your goal - right now.

For example, here are my goals:
GOAL A:
Step 1: To have revisions/synopsis/cover letter of Playing for Keeps completed and in the mail by September 2, 2008.
Step 2: To have a completed manuscript out in the universe. This will give me a sense of accomplishment. This will also allow me to move on to my next project.
Step 3: Weekdays - 2 hours each night after work. Weekends - 6 hours. Even more specific... Today - Chapter 6 revisions, Tues. - Chapter 7, Thurs. and Fri. - Chapter 8, Sat. - chapters 9 and 10, Sun. 8/24 thru Tues. 8/26 Chapter 12, Wed. 8/27 - take a deep breath, Thurs. 8/28 -complete synopsis, and Fri. 8/29 - complete cover letter. Sun 8/31 - Mon. 9/1 - print everything out, double check pages, and compile, and Tues. 9/2 - go to Post Office and mail manuscript.
Step 4: As soon as I finish this post I will open up my Chapter 6 file and go to work.

GOAL B:
Step 1: Lose 2o pounds by October 31, 2008.
Step 2: I feel better. Be heathier. Look better in my clothes.
Step 3: I will EAT TO LIVE not Live To Eat. Exercise to -Melt It Off- DVD. Keep track of what I eat and how much I exercise.
Step 4: I'm going for a walk. Mile and a half.

Doing step 4 of Goal B first, but my file for Chapter 6 will be open and ready to go when I walk through the door.

4 comments:

  1. Yup, I'm a big goal setter. Seeing it written down, and in steps, helps me get it done.

    Welcome to blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely believe in the power of goal-setting. I look forward to hearing about all you coming success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, my first two comments! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great first blog and goals are key!

    ReplyDelete