Friday, February 19, 2010

"Sing to me of the man, Muse, the man of twists and turns..." from the Odyssey

I volunteered today (note to self: bring padded seat cushion next year) as a style judge for Odyssey of the Mind, which is...


an international educational program that provides creative problem-solving opportunities for students from kindergarten through college. Team members apply their creativity to solve problems that range from building mechanical devices to presenting their own interpretation of literary classics.

I was assigned to the Classics - Discovered Treasures - Division 1 (elementary school age)
Students had to present a past discovery and a discovery that could happen in the future.

Here is what I found about what the future holds for these amazing students
a few who will be auditioning for American Idol
a few who will be nominated for Oscars
a few budding artists
and all concern with the environment.

On a lighter note - Some of my fashion favorites were a hairdo from the future - a very high sort of beehive do - the student used a 2-liter bottle and somehow wrapped her long hair up around it. Another was a pillowcase skirt - decorated with printed stamp art and ribbon looped into holes for a tie - I wanted one!

On a deeper note - If you are concerned about the future - don't be - the world's future looks bright as these students are.

And so I'll leave you with a quote from the other Odyssey- that is 2001: A Space Odyssey


I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do. - HAL

4 comments:

  1. Very inspiring.
    Three new quotes, for doing good, my presents to you. I think you will like the last the best:
    Alex Noble: "If I have been of service, if I have glimpsed more of the nature and essence of ultimate good, if I am inspired to reach wider horizons of thought and action, if I am at peace with myself, it has been a successful day."
    Confucius: "He who wishes to secure the good of others, has already secured his own."
    George Orwell: "On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Volunteering is a wonderful thing. Thank you for sharing the experience! And I will sleep better knowing the world's future is not dependent on my kids! (While they're great....motivation has become an issue lately.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teri - lol- I did like the last quote the best - so true as I have a love/hate relationship w/ volunteering

    Wendy - sure r kids will come out of it -hormones are a _itch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always enjoy your posts. I'm stealing some of your quotes for my status updates on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete