Monday, August 31, 2009

A rejection is nothing more than a necessary step in the pursuit of success. - Bo Bennett

I received the nicest agent rejection e-mail/letter ever.
I can't even be depressed about it. (I tried-you know because I'm a writer)
In fact, when ever I start ranting how much I suck at writing, I'll pop up the e-mail to remind myself that I'm not wasting my time.

Here is a portion of the agent's email:

'You have a great imagination - I love the premise - and you're a good writer, but I'm sad to say that I just wasn't passionate enough about this to ask to see more. I wish I could offer constructive suggestions, but I thought the dialogue was fine, the characters well-crafted, and the plot well-conceived. I think it's the kind of thing that really is subjective - why some people adore the book on the top of the NYTimes bestseller list, and others don't.Just to reiterate, another agent and publisher will probably feel differently. I certainly encourage you to continue to seek representation elsewhere.'

See what I mean? No reason to wallow. Almost a reason to celebrate. Almost. But it is a reason to keep writing and keep submitting.

And I'm still waiting to hear from HQ on Playing For Keeps.

1 comment:

  1. I guess that really is a positive negative. It is a strange tug-o-war of emotions, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete