Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Act IV - Shakespeare and the Art of Verbal Seduction


I'm continuing to enjoy Shakespeare and the Art of Verbal Seduction by Hill and Ottchen.

Here are some of my favorites from the chapter on Enticements and Inducements

Cymeline:

1. I dedicate myself to your sweet pleasure.

Love's Labour's Lost

2. Mistress, look on me,
Behold the window of my heart, mine eye,

Measure For Measure

3.All my life to come
I'll lend you all my life to do you service.

The Winter's Tale

4. Come! come buy! come buy!
Buy, lads, or else your lasses cry.

Two Gentlemen From Verona

5. A thousand oaths, an ocean of {my} tears,
And instances of infinite love,
Warrant {your} welcome

6. Upon the alter of {your} beauty
{I} sacrifice {my} tears, {my} sighs, {my} heart.

A Midsummer Night's Dream

7. Run through fire I will for thy sake!

Othello

8. {I have} devoted and given {my}self to the
contemplation, mark, and denotement of {your} parts
and graces.

9. I {am} nothing, but to please {your} fancy.

Romeo and Juliet

10. {I} shall happily make thee....a joyful bride.

1 comment:

  1. Sigh. Nothing like Shakespeare. You picked some good ones!

    ReplyDelete