Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Baby doll and other terms of endearment....


An endearment can be a loving word, sweet talk, term of affection, etc.

In Playing For Keeps Ryan called Samantha darling from time to time and in Love By Design Russ refers to Victoria as cupcake.

These terms of endearments came naturally out my hero's mouths with no thought at all on my part.

So I'm about 4,000 words into my work in progress, Going For It, which is Hannah and Jake's story, the secondary characters from Playing For Keeps. My celebrity inspiration for Jake Miller is Vin Diesel which I've talked about in an earlier post here http://www.taoofliz.blogspot.com/2011/12/transvestite-spends-her-entire-life.html

Anyway, I'm in the middle of this sexy dialogue and Jake comes out with, 
"Baby doll, if you don't stop staring at me like I'm your next meal I won't be responsible for another torn gown."

Baby doll? Where the heck did that come? From Vin Diesel. Now has he ever called a girlfriend baby doll? I don't know, but there you have it.
I debated about changing it. Would some women find it offensive? Or would they find it charming and cute? I did - especially if Vin Diesel whispered it to me - which in a way he did. Sigh...

On one level I do find it an odd endearment. But on another level I kind of like it. I remember when I was 19 or so (gulp, almost 30 years ago) a hunky male who was over 6'5" said to me (I'm 5'10") "Baby doll - (okay I really forget the rest of what he said to me but I do remember the endearment). And okay I was wearing a T-shirt dress, high heels with yes, ruffled baby doll type socks - HEY - it was the earlier 80's people! So for a girl who was called the Jolly Green Giant for most of her formative years the term of endearment really stuck with me.

So I'm keeping it.  

Do you have a favorite term of endearment or pet name?

No comments:

Post a Comment